How to Bypass a Ban in Steam
With over 120 million active users, Steam’s vast popularity coupled with its extensive catalog of games makes it a magnet for gamers everywhere. Not only that, but Steam hosts a bunch of other services, too, including video streaming, server hosting, and cloud storage, to name a few.
If you’re part of the Steam community, you know that there is potential for many access and security problems to arise. Once an account has been VAC (valve anti-cheat) banned from Steam, it is permanent and non-negotiable with Steam support.
However, there is a way to bypass bans without hassle. This article will highlight the best measures to take to avoid a ban on Steam, plus steps to take if you’ve already been banned.
Keep on reading to find out more.
How to Bypass a Ban in Steam
If you’re looking to bypass a ban on Steam, it’s worth considering the use of a VPN (virtual private network). There are many reasons why people choose to use VPNs. Mainly, they work to help users get past any issues surrounding security, speed, and geo-restrictions. This includes getting past any potential bans.
Before getting into the nitty-gritty on how to use a VPN to bypass Steam bans, it’s worth noting that Valve (the company behind Steam) doesn’t generally condone the use of VPNs. This is particularly true if users buy games or in-game items not available in their country or cause harm or damage to others.
However, VPNs can be used in some cases. For instance, to get past any security bans or change your geo-location to play pre-bought games that might not be available in your country.
Say you’re trying to access Steam from your college server (in your spare time, of course) and find that there’s a ban on Steam. Using VPN can help you get around this issue.
From a PC:
- Head to ExpressVPN and sign up if you haven’t already or log into your account.
- Select the “Download” button to get the right ExpressVPN for your operating system.
- An email will be sent to you. Open this and click on the link to automatically load the app.
- Follow the in-app instructions to complete the installation.
- To connect to a server location, click the button beneath your server.
- Once the “Connected” message appears, you are free to start surfing the web without issues.
- You should now be able to access Steam.
From an iOS device:
- Head to Safari (or your chosen browser) and go to ExpressVPN and sign up if you haven’t already.
- Head to the App Store and download the ExpressVPN app.
- Once the app is downloaded, follow the in-app instructions for setting up.
- When you’ve finished setting up, tap the “On” button.
- Choose your server location by pressing the button next to “On.”
- Head to your iPhone “Settings.”
- Tap “General,” then “VPN.”
- Choose “Add VPN Configuration,” then select your VPN type.
From an Android:
- Go to ExpressVPN from your chosen browser on the Android device and sign up.
- Go to the Google Play Store and download the ExpressVPN app.
- When the download is complete, finish setting up by following the instructions in the app.
- Tap “On,” then choose your server location by accessing the other button on the screen.
- Go to your Android “Settings,” then “Network & Internet Advanced.”
- Tap “VPN.”
- Enter your ExpressVPN credentials, then hit “Select.”
- The VPN will now be activated on your device.
Once you’re logged in:
- Log in to your Steam account, then click on “Account Details.”
- Click on “Update Store Country” and select the country you have changed your IP address to.
- Refresh Steam. When doing this, you might be asked to log back in.
- The server should now work without any bans or restrictions.
If you’ve already been banned from Steam, it’s possible to bypass the ban simply by creating a new account. Just follow these steps:
- Sign out of your banned account.
- Sign up to Steam using a new email address.
- Log in and click on the game you wish to play, then click “Request to Play.”
- Sign out and log back in using your banned account.
- Select “Steam.”
- Head to “Settings,” then “Family.”
- Tick the box beside your name, then press “Authorize This Computer.”
- Head back to the other account and start playing!
What Is the Difference Between a VAC and Server Ban?
Typically, a server ban is not as severe as a VAC ban. Server bans are put in place by individual servers who have the option of banning players for any reason. On the other hand, VAC bans prevent users from playing games on any secured servers across the Steam platform.
If I’m VAC Banned, Can I Play on Insecure Servers?
If the game you wish to play gives you the option of insecure servers, then yes. However, it’s worth noting that not all games on Steam offer this feature.
Is It Possible to Be Unbanned From Steam?
No. Unfortunately, if you have a VAC ban, it won’t be possible to appeal the decision. However, if you feel that your account has been wrongly banned, then it is possible to contact the Steam support team to open an investigation. If the ban is found to have been issued to you incorrectly, it will be revoked automatically.
Which Games Give Users a VAC Ban if Caught Cheating in Them?
A VAC ban is applied to all games on this list if players are caught cheating:
• Counterstrike: Source
• Day of Defeat: Source
• Deathmatch: Classic
• Half-Life 2: Death Match
• Team Fortress 2
• Day of Defeat
• Team Fortress Classic
Let the Games Begin
Playing online games should be a fun experience. The last thing you want is to hinder your game time because of the threat of a ban.
Luckily, by following the above steps, you can bypass any potential Steam bans in the future.
That said, if you’re banned from Steam, it’s worth considering why you were banned in the first place. If it was for cheating or causing harm to other players, once you gain access to Steam again, ensure that you don’t repeat the same mistakes.
See Also: How to Use a VPN With Steam
Have you tried bypassing a ban on Steam? If so, were you successful? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.