How To Get a Free US Number
Keeping your telephone number private has many purposes. It’s a great way to add an extra level of privacy when it’s required to supply your number to an unfamiliar business. If your primary number is attached to your bank account, you don’t want it falling into the hands of hackers. It’s also a benefit if you’d prefer to keep your primary number only for friends and family.
Getting a secondary phone number isn’t difficult to do. This article will show you numerous ways of obtaining another phone number.
Getting a Free US Number
You can use many different apps to get a free U.S. phone number. These apps are a good way to keep your primary phone number private.
A popular app for this is Talkatone. With it, you’ll be able to select a local phone number for calls and texts. All that’s required is a Gmail account. To learn more about how to use Talkatone, follow the steps below:
- Download and install the Talkatone app.
- Open the app.
- Log in with your Gmail account credentials.
- You’ll be shown an available number. Click “Get Number.” If you’d like to see other available numbers, select “Choose a Different One.”
You now have a secondary phone number to use for calls and texts.
How to Get a Free US Number for Verification
It’s common practice for companies and some apps to require a verification code to authenticate your identity. But doing so requires you to supply them with your phone number. For those with privacy concerns, this may be something you’d rather not do. However, there are ways around this policy.
One way to avoid giving out your primary phone number to receive a verification code is to use a bypass service called Receive-SMS-Free.cc. To learn how to use their service, check out the steps below.
- Using a browser, go to Receive-SMS-Free.cc.
- You’ll see a list of available U.S. phone numbers. Click on a phone number.
- Use this number for the service that requires a phone number to send a verification code. Wait for 60 seconds and then press the “Update the latest SMS” on the Receive-SMS-Free.cc webpage.
- The page will now display this number’s text messages, including your verification code. Choose the latest message.
How to Get a Free US Number for WhatsApp
To send and receive text messages with WhatsApp, you’re required to supply your phone number. For privacy reasons, many people are uncomfortable with this. However, there is a way to use WhatsApp without revealing your primary number.
Using the Primo app, you can get through the WhatsApp verification process by using a phone number that the app will supply. To learn how to do this, follow the instructions below:
- Download and install the Primo app for iPhone or Primo app for Android.
- Launch the app and sign up for a free number. You’ll need to supply them with your current U.S. number.
- Once your Primo account is verified, tap on the menu in the top-left corner. Write down the phone number displayed towards the bottom of the screen.
- Download and Install WhatsApp for iPhone or WhatsApp for Android.
- Open WhatsApp. When you reach the verification stage, use the number you got from Primo. Do not use your primary number. Select the “Call Me” option to receive a verification code.
- Primo will call you. Write down the verification number you hear from the call. When WhatsApp asks for the verification code, type in the number you received from the Primo call.
How to Get a Free US Number Without Paying
Google is known for a lot of things. From its popular search engine to Gmail, it’s become a part of our daily lives. Google Voice is a free service where you can get a U.S. phone number for domestic calls from your web browser and smartphone. All you need is a Google account and a valid U.S. phone number.
To set up using a computer, follow these steps:
- Open a browser window and go to Google Voice.
- Click the blue “Sign in” button in the top-right corner of the screen and log in to your Google account.
- In the search window, type an area code. You’ll be given a list of available phone numbers for that location.
- Select an available number by tapping on the “Select” button to its right.
- You’ll see a screen that shows the number that you’ve chosen. Press “Verify.”
- In the window, type in the phone number that Google Voice will use to forward your calls.
- Press “Send code.”
- Enter the verification code and tap “Verify.”
- Click “Finish” to complete the sign-up process and select “Finish” again.
To set up using a smartphone, do the following:
- Download and Install Google Voice for iPhone or Google Voice for Android.
- Launch the app, tap “Sign in,” and log in to your Google account.
- Choose an available phone number, click “Select,” and then “Next.”
- Type in the phone number you’ll be using for Google Voice to forward your calls to and select “Send Code.” Enter the verification code, press “Verify,” and then “Claim” to confirm.
- You’ll have the option of using your new Google Voice number when making calls from your phone. Select either “Yes” or “No.” Click “Next” to complete the sign-up process.
How to Get a Free US Number for Texting
Getting a free U.S. number for text messages is something that many people are interested in doing. You may not always want your phone number readily available to everyone you text. Using an app allows you to get a virtual phone number for these situations.
The Textfree app is perfect for this. You can choose a phone number from your desired location out of the ones they have available. Once the app is installed and you’ve created an account, you can send and receive text messages without exposing your primary number. To learn how to use this app, follow the instructions below:
- Download and install the Textfree app.
- Launch the app.
- Tap the “Sign up” button. Select “Allow” when prompted to allow the app access to your current location.
- Enter your desired area code and click “Continue.”
- Select a phone number from the list and press “Choose this Number.” Enter your email address and create a password for your account.
- Click “Confirm Account.”
Using a Secondary Phone Number Protects Your Privacy
With various apps available, it’s not difficult to maintain your anonymity when making calls or sending text messages. Using a secondary or virtual phone number can protect your primary number. Apps like Google Voice and Primo are free to use and can be used with iPhone and Android devices.
Have you used a free U.S. number for calls and texts? Did you use any of the ones we suggested in the article? Let us know in the comments section below.