How to Change Location or Region in TikTok
Like many global applications, TikTok filters what you see and who sees you based on your region. That’s fine if your area has many users, but if there aren’t many talented creators in your feed, you might want to change your location.
Here are a few methods you can use to change your region in TikTok.
Use a VPN to Change Your TikTok Region
One of the more common options for changing your location in TikTok is using a VPN. A Virtual Private Network lets you quickly change the location of your device. Express VPN is a popular choice, but there are other options available too.
Note: Sometimes using a VPN may not work as reports state that TikTok uses your SIM Card GSM information, not your device’s spoofed IP address or region.
Using a VPN to change your location can be hit or miss, but it is a great technique that works most of the time. You can sign up for Express VPN or find another solution. You’ll also need to download the app. If you want to try your hand at using a VPN on TikTok, follow the steps below.
Use ExpressVPN on Android to Change Your TikTok Region
- Ensure you have signed up for Express VPN using a browser and then download the ExpressVPN app on Google Play.
- Launch the Express VPN app, then sign into the account and tap on Selected Location.
- Tap on the Country or City of your choice.
- Next, tap the power icon at the top to activate your VPN.
- Open TikTok and view the content of your new location.
Use ExpressVPN on an iPhone to Change Your TikTok Region
- Register for an Express VPN account using a browser, if not already established, and download the iPhone ExpressVPN app.
- Open the app and sign in to your ExpressVPN account.
- Tap Allow when ExpressVPN asks for permission to Add VPN Configurations.
- Tap on Smart Location.
- Select your desired location from the list.
- Ensure that ExpressVPN is connected. If it isn’t, tap the power icon. It will turn green when it’s active.
- Now, open TikTok and view content in the region you’ve selected.
That’s all there is to it! You can see that this method is working by going to the TikTok “Discover” page. One of the key indicators is the language on the page.
Switch Your Language to Change Your TikTok Region
As stated above, TikTok isn’t likely to recommend any content with a language that isn’t native to your area. Fortunately, you can easily change your language in the app.
- Launch TikTok and select Me in the lower right-hand corner.
- Tap on the hamburger icon (three horizontal dots) in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Settings and privacy.
- Scroll down to the Content & Activity section and tap Language.
- Select Preferred languages and add the native language of the region you’re looking for.
Changing your TikTok language may not instantly correct your region problem, so you might have to utilize the following methods to get TikTok to show you the content you want to see.
Follow Different Creators to Change Your Instagram Region
Based on what has been reported by other users, TikTok recommends content based on who you follow and the types of videos you interact with most. It’s time to head over to the app and start following people in different regions.
The Search option is unavailable from the TikTok website, but the app version has it. Here’s how to search for and follow TikTok creators in another region.
- Click on the magnifying glass labeled Discover on the lower left-hand side of the application.
- Type the most popular users of the region you’d like to view in the search bar.
- Tap the red Follow button on their profile to follow the user.
- Next, tap on the Followers link within their profile to see who and how many follow the specified user.
- In the Followers list, look for a high count, then scroll through it and follow accounts there as well.
Here’s a list of popular TikTok creators to follow if you aren’t sure who’s the most popular and what region they reside.
Swap Your Sim Card to Change Your TikTok Region
Usually, when someone wants to appear from a different country, a VPN is the answer. As previously mentioned, a VPN may not work with TikTok. However, some user comments create an impression that VPNs do work. You be the judge but be sure to confirm you don’t get results that make you think it worked. If it works for you, please comment below with your actual region and the one that worked.
Aside from VPN confusion with TikTok, the app uses your SIM Card’s region code to decide what you see. Try purchasing a SIM Card from a different region and use it on your phone. The SIM option is a hassle unless you have a dual SIM phone, but it is achievable if you want to go that route.
TikTok and Location/Region Changes
In closing, TikTok is an excellent platform for creating and sharing content with people worldwide. Still, if you want to start seeing more content from specific regions, you’ll have to take a few extra steps to manipulate your feed.