How To Turn Off the News on an Echo Show
Amazon Echo Show is undoubtedly a handy device to stay informed about the latest news, weather, and events. However, too much information larding up your Echo Show home screen may be overwhelming.
Taking breaks from the news has a positive impact on our mental health, so sometimes, you may want to stay away from recent headlines. Read our brief guide if you’d like to declutter your home screen and turn off news notifications.
How to Turn Off News on an Amazon Echo Show
Turning off news on your Amazon Echo Show speaker is simple – just follow the steps below:
- Swipe down from the top to the middle of your Echo Show screen to access the quick menu.
- Tap “Settings,” then navigate to “Home & Clock.”
- Select “Home Content” to edit what’s on your home screen.
- Scroll down until you find the “News” line.
- Shift the toggle next to “News” to turn off the notifications.
How to Disable News on Echo Show Temporarily
If you’d only like to disable news on your Echo Show during selected periods, you can do so using the “Do Not Disturb” feature. It allows you to disable all notifications during certain hours – for instance, when you’re working or in the evening. Here’s how to do so in your Alexa App:
- Launch the Alexa App on your mobile device.
- Head to “Devices.”
- Tap “Echo & Alexa.”
- Find your Echo Show and tap its name.
- Tap “Do Not Disturb.”
- Turn on the toggle next to “Scheduled” and set the preferred times. Alternatively, shift the toggle next to “Do Not Disturb” to enable the mode until you turn it off.
Alternatively, you may tell your Echo Show, “Alexa, turn on Do Not Disturb,” to disable news and other notifications for a single instance. The speaker will respond with, “I won’t disturb you.” If you’d like to enable notifications, simply say “Alexa, turn off Do Not Disturb.”
How to Turn Off Trending Topics on Amazon Echo Show
Apart from the news, Amazon Echo Show shows you selected stories and videos by default. You can disable Amazon’s trending content by following the steps below:
- Swipe from the top to the bottom of your Echo Show screen.
- Select “Settings” from the quick access menu.
- Select “Home Screen,” then “Home Cards.”
- Switch off the toggle next to “Trending Topics” and exit the menu.
How to Turn Off All Notifications on Amazon Echo Show
While you can’t disable the home screen on your Echo Show entirely, you can turn off all notifications and leave only clock and weather information. Here’s how to do that:
- Swipe down from the top of your Echo Show screen.
- Tap “Settings,” then “Home Screen.”
- Select “Home Cards.”
- Turn off the toggles next to “Notifications,” “Upcoming Events,” “Drop In,” and “Trending Topics.”
How to Disable Echo Show Suggestions
If Alexa’s suggestions are getting on your nerves, you can disable them – but the necessary toggle is hidden a few layers deep. You can only disable suggestions for all Alexa devices at once. Here’s how to do that:
- Launch your Alexa App.
- Tap the upper left corner to expand the dropdown menu.
- Select “Settings,” then “Notifications.”
- Turn off the toggle next to “Alexa Device Notifications” to stop receiving unwanted suggestions on your Echo Show and other Alexa devices.
How to Disable Echo Show Voice Recording
Did you know that by default Alexa records and saves your daily interactions and calls? If you don’t like the idea of someone getting access to your personal conversations, you can disable the feature. Follow the steps below:
- Launch your Alexa App.
- Head to “Settings,” then to “Alexa Privacy.”
- Select “Manage Your Alexa Data.”
- Tap “Choose How Long to Save Recordings.”
- Select “Don’t Save Recordings,” then tap “Confirm.”
- Go back and scroll down to the “Help Improve Alexa” section.
- Turn off the toggle next to “Use of Voice Recordings.”
Keep reading to find out more about your Amazon Echo Show.
Can Amazon Echo Show News and Trending Topics be customized?
Amazon Echo Show’s News and Trending Topics features could be much handier if they displayed personalized information. Many users disable notifications because they are irrelevant but would be happy to enable them if there was a way to customize the content. Unfortunately, as of now, Amazon doesn’t let users tailor the content to their preference.
How does Amazon select News and Trending Topics?
Since users can’t customize Amazon Echo Show News and Trending Topics content, many wonder how the stories are selected. According to Amazon spokespersons, the company aims to provide entertaining and valuable content for the whole family. The News section includes headlines gathered from the largest resources, such as Reuters and USA Today. However, the company strives to avoid hard news related to politics and disasters.
Does the Do Not Disturb mode turn off all notifications on my Echo Show?
Echo Show’s Do Not Disturb mode is convenient for people who prefer a few hours of peace from messages and news headlines. However, some notifications are more important than others and shouldn’t be missed. Amazon understands this and keeps reminder, alarm, and timer notifications on even when the Do Not Disturb mode is enabled.
Why does my Echo Show answer a call automatically?
If your Echo Show has answered a call automatically, you may think it was an odd glitch. However, it’s just Amazon’s Drop In feature enabled by default. Drop In doesn’t require you to answer a call – your friends, relatives, or anyone else with an Echo Show speaker can instantly connect to your device. While this is a handy feature if you need to check in on your elders or 10-year-old niece, most users see it as a breach of privacy. Thankfully, you can disable the feature by following the steps below:
1. Swipe from the top of your Echo Show screen to access the quick menu.
2. Tap “Settings.”
3. Go to “Home Screen,” then “Home Cards.”
4. Switch off the toggle next to “Drop In.”
Alternatively, you can do this via your Alexa App:
1. Launch the Alexa App on your phone.
2. Tap “Devices,” then “Echo & Alexa.”
3. Select your Echo Show and tap “Communications.”
4. Select “Drop In” and turn it off. Alternatively, you may limit the feature for specific devices.
Declutter Your Digital Space
Hopefully, our guide has helped you customize your Amazon Echo Show home screen and get rid of unwanted notifications. Taking a break from headlines and ads is always a good idea. Keep your Echo Show content under control and stay sane!
What do you think about Echo Show’s Trending Topics? Do you find them useful or entertaining? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.